The Leader Board
May 16 2012
'Democratic Leaders Have Defiantly Refused To Lay Out Their Own Vision For How To Deal With Federal Debt And Spending'
Rank & File Dems: 'Frustration With Their Party's Budget Inaction'
"…Democratic leaders have defiantly refused to lay out their own vision for how to deal with federal debt and spending… centrists in the 53-member Democratic conference expressed frustration with their party's budget inaction." ("Lack Of Budget Irks Moderate Dems," Politico, 5/15/12)
- SEN. MARK PRYOR (D-AR): "The budget process is just not working around here. We've had three years with President Obama where we're not able to get a budget resolution passed… We need to get back to the fundamentals of governing which is to do a budget." ("Lack Of Budget Irks Moderate Dems," Politico, 5/15/12)
- SEN. BARBARA BOXER (D-CA): QUESTION: "[Senator Mark Pryor's] basically saying he wishes the Democratic Senate would go ahead and produce a budget resolution going forward." BOXER: "Well I think that is just a great idea…" (MSNBC's "The Daily Rundown," 5/16/12)
- SEN. KENT CONRAD (D-ND): "The fact is, what we don't have is a longer-term plan." ("Senate Democrats Wary Of Budget Fights," Roll Call, 4/9/12)
- SEN. JOE LIEBERMAN (ID-CT): "I don't think [Democrats] will offer their own budget and I'm disappointed in that." ("Lack Of Budget Irks Moderate Dems," Politico, 5/15/12)
- "Freshman Sen. Joe Manchin has often said he would have been 'impeached' if he failed to produce a budget as West Virginia governor, though he conceded there are differences between the state and Senate budget processes. 'Sure I have a problem with [failing to offer a budget]. As a former governor, my responsibility was to put a budget forward and balance it, so anyone who comes from the executive mindset has a problem with that. I don't care if you're Democrat or Republican,' Manchin said in an interview." ("Lack Of Budget Irks Moderate Dems," Politico, 5/15/12)
Dem Leadership Has Said Passing A Budget 'Not The Point,' 'Foolish'
JOE SCARBOROUGH: "The Democrats have decided in the midst of a financial meltdown they're going to do absolutely nothing…" (MSNBC's "Morning Joe," 5/16/12)
SEN. HARRY REID (D-NV): "It would be foolish for us to do a budget at this stage." ("Harry Reid: 'Foolish' For Democrats To Offer Budget Plan," LA Times, 5/20/11)
SEN. CHUCK SCHUMER (D-NY): "To put other budgets out there is not the point." ("Schumer: Medicare Will 'Define' 2012," Politico, 5/23/11)
SENATE REPUBLICAN COMMUNICATIONS CENTER