Sep 05 2018 01:25 PM
- The Senate will convene at 12:00 p.m.
- Following leader remarks, the Senate will be in a period of morning business with senators permitted to speak therein for up to 10 minutes each.
Senator Manchin: (1:00 p.m.)
- Spoke on healthcare reform.
- "What it basically says is the insurance companies will be allowed to determine if you're too sick and too costly for them and they can't make enough profit or see that there is no end in sight, they will just deny you. 400,000 West Virginians will be denied. They couldn't even buy insurance if they could afford it. The other 400,000 in West Virginia are going to basically have their rates raised or capped. That means they are one illness away, one illness away from financial disaster. Senator Tillis said this legislation is a commonsense solution."
Senator Inhofe: (1:05 p.m.)
- Spoke in tribute to Sen. John McCain.
- "You measure artillery, Madam President, by the range and by rapid fire, and we are outgunned and out - by both Russia and China in those areas. We know what's happening in terms of - right now we're at the point now where we have actually confirmed 26 appellate judges just in the short term that this president has been in. So I would be talking about that, but that's not - that was not what she said. And so it is true, and her observation is true it doesn't go unnoticed by people when you have the media who is really not treating the president right. By the way, I was a victim of this too back during the McCain discussion, after McCain's life was lost, I several times on the floor, I talked about the fact that way back in 1994 when I ran for the United States Senate, the only one - there were only three senators would come out to Oklahoma to help and one was John McCain."