Executive Session (Axon Nomination)
Jun 05 2018 04:15 PM
Senator Leahy: (3:15 p.m.)
- Spoke on immigration.
- "But today an extraordinary breach of our most basic values, the trump administration is now virtually employing these very tactics. Children were separated from their parents during the previous administration. I vocally and forcefully opposed it then, as I believe and I'm still convinced that there are alternatives that are far more humane and effective than tearing apart families. But the family separation we're seeing today is so v.ly difference, both in purpose and scope than what occurred during the Obama administration. There's no comparison. Separation is no longer limited to narrow circumstances where it's arguably in the best interest of the child. "
Senator Thune: (3:24 p.m.)
- Spoke on Republican economic policy.
- "When the republican-led Senate passed tax reform in December, there were estimates that this historic legislation would create nearly one million jobs for the American people. Well, Mr. President, the economy has already created more than a million jobs since tax reform was passed and 3.6 million jobs since president trump was elected. The Republican pro-growth, pro-jobs agenda is working. Mr. President, government cannot create prosperity. It can't create the jobs and opportunities that Americans need for a secure economic future. Only businesses can do that. But government can create the conditions for economic prosperity."
- Spoke on the accomplishments of the Republican Congress.
- "And of course we've confirmed a number of highly qualified judges to fill vacancies in our judicial system. Mr. President, Republicans are working to honor the trust that the American people placed in us. We're fighting to make life better for hardworking Americans. We've accomplished a lot so far in this congress, but we know there is a lot more work to be done. And, Mr. President, we are up to the challenge."