Executive Session (Pompeo Nomination)
Apr 25 2018 12:24 PM
- The Senate will convene at 12:00 p.m.
- Following leader remarks, the Senate will proceed Executive Session and resume consideration of Executive Calendar #788, Mike Pompeo, of Kansas, to be Secretary of State.
- Note: on Tuesday, April 24, cloture was filed on Executive Calendar #788, Mike Pompeo, of Kansas, to be Secretary of State.
- Note: on Tuesday, April 24, cloture was filed on Executive Calendar #619, Richard Grenell, of California, to be Ambassador to the Federal Republic of Germany.
Senator Wicker: (12:15 p.m.)
- Spoke on the nomination of Mike Pompeo to be Secretary of State.
- "I appreciate the fact that accommodations were made so that Mike Pompeo's nomination could be presented to the full Senate with a positive vote. I am disappointed that so many of my Democratic colleagues have stated that they will oppose this nomination, and I heed the admonition of one of the members of the Democratic Party at the - at the confirmation vote before the committee when -- when this member asked that senators not question the motives of anyone who takes a position one way or the other with regard to the nomination of Mr. Pompeo. And so I will heed that admonition, Madam President, and not question the motivation of any senator who votes either yes or no on this nomination. I will simply observe this. Mike Pompeo is a highly qualified nominee."