Jul 09 2018 03:23 PM
- The Senate will convene at 3:00 p.m.
- Following leader remarks, the Senate will proceed to Executive Session and resume consideration of Executive Calendar #836, Mark Jeremy Bennett, of Hawaii, to be United States Circuit Court Judge for the Ninth Circuit.
- At 5:30 p.m., the pending cloture motions will ripen.
- Note: on Thursday, June 28, cloture was filed on Executive Calendar #836, Mark Jeremy Bennett, of Hawaii, to be United States Circuit Court Judge for the Ninth Circuit.
- Note: on Thursday, June 28, cloture was filed on Executive Calendar #639, Brian Allen Benczkowski, of Virginia, to be an Assistant Attorney General.
- Note: on Thursday, June 28, cloture was filed on Executive Calendar #686, Paul C. Ney, of Tennessee, to be Counsel of the Department of Defense.
Senator Schumer: (3:05 p.m.)
- Spoke on the upcoming Supreme Court vacancy.
- "Now, Mr. President, as everyone knows, later tonight President Trump will announce his nomination for the upcoming vacancy on the Supreme Court. Whoever fills Justice Kennedy's seat will join an otherwise evenly divided court and immediately obtain the ability to effect the laws of the United States and the rights of its citizens for generations to come. Enormously important issues hang in the balance: The right of workers to organize, the pernicious influence of dark money in our politics, the right of Americans to marry whom they love, the right to vote. Two issues of similar and profound consequence are the fate of the affordable health care and a woman's freedom to make the most sensitive medical decisions about her body."
- Spoke on North Korea.
- "Despite the pomp and circumstance, the negotiations have thus far been a flop. After the summit, President Trump declared, without any evidence, that, quote, North Korea is no longer a nuclear threat, unquote, his words, to the United States. The reality, of course, is far, far different. Recent reports have shown that North Korea is making upgrades to a nuclear facility and expanding ballistic missile manufacturing. Just a few days ago North Korea media called negotiations with Secretary of State Pompeo, quote, deeply regrettable, unquote, accusing the Trump administration of a unilateral and gangster-like demand for denuclearization."
- Spoke on healthcare reform.
- "This comes at a time when 2019 premiums are being filed and insurers from coast to coast and is saying the Republican sabotage is causing premiums to increase, to be much higher than they need to be. Many of these insurers are also saying if the Trump administration enacts further sabotage, such as the action like this one and the action of junk plans, then insurers may need to raise their rates and raise premiums even more."