Jun 05 2018 06:28 PM
- The Senate will convene at 10:00 a.m.
- Following leader remarks, the Senate will proceed to Executive Session and resume consideration of Executive Calendar #625, Annmarie Carney Axon, of Alabama, to be United States District Judge for the Northern District of Alabama.
- At 11:00 a.m., the Senate will VOTE on confirmation of Executive Calendar #625, Annmarie Carney Axon, of Alabama, to be United States District Judge for the Northern District of Alabama.
Senator Whitehouse: (5:51 p.m.)
- Spoke on climate change.
- "He said it is already happening now. Well, 30 years have passed since then. 30 years of added science. 30 years of new science. 30 years of updated reports, and 30 years of mounting evidence of how right Hansen was. Yet here we still are in congress, still willfully ignoring the unprecedented changes to the climate and the oceans, changes that threaten our planet and its rich array of plant and animal life, changes that put at risk homes, farms, forests, and coasts, changes that affect our very human health and well-being. These are not computer model projections of the distant future, but changes we are seeing right before our very eyes now."
Senator Brown: (6:19 p.m.)
- Spoke on CFIUS.
- "The Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States, so-called CFIUS, screens foreign investments for national security threats and blocks those that undermine our national security. It's countries like China have adopted new tactics and new techniques to acquire our critical knowledge and know-how, the laws that give CFIUS its authority haven't been able to keep up with technology. Hence the reason that Senator Cornyn and Senator Feinstein and Senator Van Hollen and Crapo and I have worked on this. I want to thank them for introducing legislation last fall to expand CFIUS' authority to keep up with these new tactics."