Jul 23 2018 03:33 PM
- The Senate will convene at 3:00 p.m.
- Following leader remarks, the Senate will proceed to Executive Session and begin consideration of Executive Calendar #1000, Robert L. Wilkie, of North Carolina, to be Secretary of Veterans Affairs, with the time until 5:30 p.m. equally divided in the usual form.
- At 5:30 p.m., the Senate will VOTE on confirmation of Executive Calendar #1000, Robert L. Wilkie, of North Carolina, to be Secretary of Veterans Affairs.
- Following disposition of the Wilkie nomination, the Senate will resume legislative session to begin consideration of H.R. 6147, the minibus appropriations bill.
Senator Cornyn: (3:15 p.m.)
- Spoke on the nomination of Brett Kavanaugh to be an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court.
- "Last week he was referred to as the fill-in-the-blank opposition. So if you can come out with such certainty and such vigor against an unnamed nominee, well, looks to me like you really don't have an open mind in the first place. But now Judge Kavanaugh's name has been filled in, and the attacks have been more direct and more personal. They've attempted to attack his qualifications, but that sputtered out pretty quickly, given that Judge Kavanaugh's qualifications are unassailable. No one can argue that he's not impeccably well-suited for a seat on the nation's high of the court."
- Spoke on the nomination of Robert Wilkie to be Secretary of Veterans Affairs.
- "Mr. Wilke brings to this position a firsthand understanding of the mental and physical demands of military life. The son of an Army commander wounded in Cambodia during the Vietnam War, he said his father's recovery was at the forefront of his mind when he was offered the position at the Veterans Administration. He himself is an Air Force Reserve officer who spent three decades helping to shape military policy. In fact, he started out his career in this very chamber and worked most recently for our friend from North Carolina, Senator Tillis."