Jun 26 2018 10:11 AM
- The Senate will convene at 10:00 a.m.
- Following leader remarks, the Senate will resume consideration of the motion to proceed to H.R. 2, the farm bill, post-cloture.
- The Senate will recess from 12:30 p.m. to 2:15 p.m. to accommodate the weekly policy lunches.
- Note: all time during recess, adjournment, morning business, and leader remarks will count post-cloture on the motion to proceed to H.R. 2, the farm bill.
Senator McConnell: (10:04 a.m.)
- Spoke on the farm bill.
- "The reason it's reached the floor in its current form for passage by the full Senate is the leadership of Pat Roberts and Ranking Member Debbie Stabenow. They've carried on the committee's proud tradition of focusing on substance and putting partisanship aside. As the senior senator from Kentucky, I know exactly how important this legislation is to agricultural communities in my home state and around the nation. Kentucky has 12.8 million acres dedicated to agriculture. That includes about $1 billion in soybean production last year alone, about three-quarters of a billion dollars in corn, hundreds of millions of the dollars in the production of hay and tobacco, just to name a few. These crops are only part of the story."
- Spoke on tax reform.
- "Six months since Republicans implemented a simpler 21st century framework. Six months since updated tax tracts and withholding tables provide more take-home pay. Thanks to lower tax rates, the I.R.S. is withholding less of workers' paychecks. Because we double the standard deduction, married couples will benefit from a new zero percent tax bracket for the first $24,000 they earn. And parents are looking afford to - forward to the bigger tax credits. These tax cuts are just a shot in the arm that our economy needed and they're exactly what middle-class families and workers deserve."