Mar 05 2018 03:09 PM
- The Senate will convene at 3:00 p.m.
- Following leader remarks, the Senate will proceed to Executive Session and resume consideration of Executive Calendar #438, Karen Gren Scholer, of Texas, to be United States District Judge for the Northern District of Texas.
- At 5:30 p.m, the Senate will VOTE on confirmation of Executive Calendar #438, Karen Gren Scholer, of Texas, to be United States District Judge for the Northern District of Texas.
- Following disposition of the Scholer nomination, the Senate will VOTE on confirmation of Executive Calendar #439, Tilman Eugene Self III, of Georgia, to be United States District Judge for the Middle District of Georgia.
- Following disposition of the Self nomination, the Senate will VOTE on confirmation of Executive Calendar #536, Terry A. Doughty, of Louisiana, to be United States District Judge for the Western District of Louisiana.
- Note: on Thursday, March 1, cloture was filed on the motion to proceed to S. 2155, the Economic Growth, Regulatory Relief, and Consumer Protection Act.
Senator McConnell: (3:03 p.m)
- Spoke on March Madness.
- "This weekend the women of the University of Louisville won their first ever A.C.C tournament title finishing the regular season with a record of 29-2. The Cardinals are currently ranked third in the nation led by A.C.C Coach of the Year Jeff Waltz and A.C.C Player of the Year Asia Derr. These talented women are looking to add yet another title. So are the Murray State Racers. Their men's team won the Ohio Valley Conference Championship and earned their first NCAA Tournament appearance since 2012. They'll look to build on the longest winning streak in the nation."
- Spoke on judicial nominations.
- "On another matter, today we'll vote on the nominations of three more talented individuals whom the president has asked to serve as federal district judges. Karen Scholer, Tilman Self for the Middle District of Georgia and Terry Doughty for the Western District of Louisiana. These are three excellent nominees and I would encourage all of our colleagues to vote in support of each of them."
- Spoke on tax reform.
- "Last week the Labor Department announced that weekly jobless claims had reached a 48-year low. Let me repeat that fewer Americans are filing for unemployment today than at any time since 1969. The labor market is tightening. Employers are competing for talent and workers and their families are coming out on top. In January America's real disposable income rows more quickly than it had - rose more quickly than it had since April 2015. That's the biggest jump in spending money available to American families accounting for tax rates and inflation in nearly three years."