Aug 22 2018 10:11 AM
- The Senate will convene at 10:00 a.m.
- Following leader remarks, the Senate will resume consideration of H.R. 6157, the minibus appropriations bill.
- The Senate will recess from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Note: the following amendment is pending to H.R. 6157, the minibus appropriations bill: Shelby Amendment #3695.
- Note: the following amendment is pending to Shelby Amendment #3695 to H.R. 6157, the minibus appropriations bill: McConnell Amendment #3699.
- Note: on Tuesday, August 21, cloture was filed on Shelby Amendment #3695 to H.R. 6157, the minibus appropriations bill.
- Note: on Tuesday, August 21, cloture was filed on H.R. 6157, the minibus appropriations bill.
Senator McConnell: (10:03 a.m.)
- Spoke on Republican economic policy.
- "As Senator Capito explained in a recent op-ed, this shows that Republican policies are helping the entire state write a new chapter. Senator Capito said that in Wheeling, West Virginia, a company is creating a new line of products thanks to the new flexibility brought about by tax reform. In Wellsburg, they are buying new machinery. And in Jane Lou, Cause Enterprises is hiring up to 30 new workers. It is really amazing when you think that only one of West Virginia's senators voted for the tax policies that made this necessary. In recent months, promising economic numbers are only the beginning. Tax reform will also help strengthen our economic foundation for the long term."
- Spoke on the minibus appropriations bill.
- "Just under $100 million to integrate ex-offenders back into productive society. These are just a few of the important items that our appropriation for labor, health and human services, and education will fund. It will invest in college affordability through Pell grants, federal study work programs and programs aimed at low-income and first generation students. It contains a $2 billion funding increase for the National Institutes of Health paving the way for new medical breakthroughs."