Jul 25 2018 07:33 PM
- The Senate will convene at 9:30 a.m.
- Following leader remarks, the Senate will resume consideration of H.R. 6147, the minibus appropriations bill.
- Note: the following amendment is pending to H.R. 6147, the minibus appropriations bill: Shelby Amendment #3399.
- Note: the following amendment is pending to Shelby Amendment #3399 to H.R. 6147, the minibus appropriations bill: Murkowski Amendment #3400.
Senator Hirono: (7:23 p.m.)
- Spoke on the nomination of Brett Kavanaugh to be an Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court.
- "Judge Kavanaugh emphasized that the most interesting and informative experiences he had were at the White House as staff secretary, so of course the Senate Judiciary Committee ought to be able to review all of the records of his time in the White House. The scope of the requests that Democrats on the Judiciary Committee are proposing is so obvious and common sense that it is hard to believe it is a topic of debate. In normal times, there would not be any question about what the committee is entitled to see and no responsible senator would object, but these are not normal times. If these times, we have senators trying to cover for an irresponsible, dangerous president who, like in anything else he does, wants to bulldoze his nominee's way onto the highest court in the land for life."