Feb 12 2018 06:15 PM
- The Senate will convene at 10:00 a.m.
- Following leader remarks, the Senate will resume consideration of the motion to proceed to H.R 2579, the vehicle for the immigration bill.
- The Senate will recess from 12:30 p.m to 2:15 p.m to accommodate the weekly policy lunches.
- Note: all time during recess, adjournment, morning business, and leader remarks count post-cloture on the motion to proceed to H.R 2579, the vehicle for the immigration bill.
Senator Hassan: (6:08 p.m)
- Spoke on the opioid epidemic.
- "Mr. President, I'm encouraged by recent work in Congress to provide a significant increase in funding to combat this crisis. Over the past months, I have been pushing for more support for treatment, recovery, prevention, and law enforcement efforts, and the bipartisan agreement that passed last week included billions of dollars in additional resources, an important next step in strengthening our response. This is welcome news for states across the nation grappling with the challenges of this epidemic, and it will be critical that these new federal dollars are prioritized for states like New Hampshire that have been the hardest hit."
- Spoke in tribute to Cassandra Laveck.
- "Last year, after learning that child brides face a higher likelihood of domestic violence and divorce and a lower chance of professional success, Cassandra set out to close the legal loopholes that allow children as young as 13 to wed in New Hampshire. As she took on this fight, she heard stories of women in her community who had been abused by their spouse after being married as a minor. Cassandra bravely shared the story of her own grandmother and great grandmother, both of whom were married as young teenagers and were subsequently abused by their husbands."