Aug 21 2018 06:43 PM
- The Senate will convene at 10:00 a.m.
- Following leader remarks, the Senate will resume consideration of H.R. 6157, the minibus appropriations bill.
- The Senate will recess from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Note: the following amendment is pending to H.R. 6157, the minibus appropriations bill: Shelby Amendment #3695.
- Note: the following amendment is pending to Shelby Amendment #3695 to H.R. 6157, the minibus appropriations bill: McConnell Amendment #3699.
- Note: on Tuesday, August 21, cloture was filed on Shelby Amendment #3695 to H.R. 6157, the minibus appropriations bill.
- Note: on Tuesday, August 21, cloture was filed on H.R. 6157, the minibus appropriations bill.
Senator Warner: (5:27 p.m.)
- Spoke on the revocation of John Brennan's security clearance.
- "Mr. President, Virginia is home to tens of thousands of dedicated men and women who serve in our intelligence and defense communities. Over the years, as senator and vice chairman of the Intelligence Committee, I've met literally thousands of F.B.I. agents, C.I.A. officers, military service members, contractors, and other public servants who hold security clearances. These men and women work day in and day out, often thanklessly, to keep America safe. You know what? I have no idea amongst those Americans who have those security clearances, which of them are Democrats and which of them are Republicans. And that's the way our system is supposed to work. The federal government grants security clearances only to those individuals who can be trusted with our nation's secrets."
Senator Grassley: (5:37 p.m.)
- Spoke on the nomination of Brett Kavanaugh to be an Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court.
- "In contrast to Justice Kavanaugh's 12-year judicial track record, the 307 opinions that Kavanaugh wrote and the hundreds more he joined, Judge Kagan wrote or joined zero opinions. Judge Kavanaugh wrote or joined over 10,000 pages to judicial opinions compared to Justice Kagan's zero pages. In short, then, we have received many more pages of more relevant documents for Judge Kavanaugh than we did for Justice Kagan. This more thorough and more transparent production is also on top of the thousands of pages of Judge Kavanaugh's publicly available materials, including his extensive and impressive judicial record."