May 14 2018 06:48 PM
- The Senate will convene at 10:00 a.m.
- Following leader remarks, the Senate will proceed to Executive Session and resume consideration of Executive Calendar #729, Joel M. Carson, of New Mexico, to be United States Circuit Judge for the Tenth Circuit.
- At 12:00 p.m., the Senate will VOTE on confirmation of Executive Calendar #729, Joel M. Carson, of New Mexico, to be United States Circuit Judge for the Tenth Circuit and then Executive Calendar #777, John B. Nalbandian, of Kentucky, to be United States Circuit Judge for the Sixth Circuit in the order listed.
- Following disposition of the Nalbandian nomination, the Senate will recess until 2:15 p.m. to accommodate the weekly conference meetings.
Senator McConnell: (6:33 p.m.)
- Spoke in tribute to Senator John McCain.
- "Mr. President, I had an opportunity yesterday to visit our friend John McCain. It was a beautiful location, Sedona. It's about a two-hour drive from Phoenix. John and Cindy and I had a chance to sit on the back porch and reminisce about our friendship and all we had shared over the last 30 years. We had some laughs. We mainly reminisced about the battles. Sometime we were on the same side, sometimes we weren't. But one thing about our colleague, John McCain, you'd rather be on his side than not."
- Spoke on Israeli Independence Day.
- "This morning an American delegation, including top administration officials and several of our own colleagues were on hand in Jerusalem, Israel's capital, to officially open the new American embassy in that city. I'm proud the administration sent this clear signal on behalf of all Americans. We recognized the fact that Jerusalem is Israel's capital, plain and simple. That's where our embassy belongs and now, thanks to the president's decision, that's where it will be."
- Spoke on the recent treatment of Senator Harry Reid.
- "On one final subject, Mr. President, the senate's thought this afternoon are also with our former colleague, previous Democratic leader, Senator Reid, who underwent surgery today for a pancreatic surgery. According to his family the surgery went well and chemotherapy will follow in the days ahead. Harry, let me say we're all with you in the corner and we wish you the very best in this fight."