Motion to Proceed to the Paul Budget Resolution (S. Con. Res. 36)
May 17 2018 11:30 AM
Senator Warren: (11:03 a.m.)
- Spoke on the nomination of Gina Haspel to be C.I.A. Director.
- "Ms. Haspel's support for torture and her willingness to destroy evidence of the C.I.A.'s use of torture. For years apologists for the C.I.A.'s program have tried to re-describe this inhumane practice to make it seem less appalling to the American people. They have even renamed it. Torture has been rebranded as enhanced interrogation. There is no way to hide the basic facts. The techniques used by the C.I.A. were torture, waterboarding, so that the person had the repeated sensation of drowning. Confining people to small boxes for hours on end. Depriving people of sleep for days. Forcing people to hold painful stress positions."
- Spoke on National Police Week.
- "Mr. President, I rise today to honor the lives of six Massachusetts police officers who lost their lives in the line of duty."
Senator Inhofe: (11:27 a.m.)
- Spoke on the budget.
- "I know the intentions are good. We voted on the same thing for the last five years. I can tell you right now what the vote's going to be because it's been the same vote for the last five years."