May 16 2018 06:49 PM
- The Senate will convene at 9:30 a.m.
- Following leader remarks, Senator Paul or his designee be recognized to make a motion to proceed to S. Con. Res. 36, the Paul budget resolution, and there be 90 minutes of debate on the motion with 45 minutes controlled by Senator Paul or his designee and 45 minutes controlled by the minority leader and his designee.
- Following the use or yielding back of that time, the Senate will VOTE in relation to the motion to proceed to S. Con. Res. 36, the Paul budget resolution.
Senator Heitkamp: (6:06 p.m.)
- Spoke on National Police Week.
- "Each year, peace officers from all over the country and from countries all over the world come to Washington, D.C., to celebrate and to honor the lives of their colleagues who have lost their lives in the line of duty. I want to first recognize several law enforcement officers that lost their lives in the line of duty last year that do not always get the recognition or the honor that they deserve, and those are our federal and tribal peace officers. They protect our homeland, they protect our borders, and in the case of tribal police, they provide safety and security in Indian country in some of the most remote and difficult places in the nation. This year, eight federal law enforcement officers' names were again attached to the wall, etched in the wall."
Senator Sullivan: (6:18 p.m.)
- Spoke on the nomination of Gina Haspel to be C.I.A. Director.
- " Mr. President, I just had a very productive and informative meeting with the nominee to be the next C.I.A. director, Ms. Gina Haspel, and I just wanted to come down on the floor and say a few words. I was very impressed and I'm going to certainly support her when she's voted on, I believe as early as tomorrow. There's a lot of discussions about her background, first woman to lead the C.I.A., first career member of the C.I.A. That's all important, but I think what's most important is that the American people know and this body know that she is very well-qualified, very, very impressive person who I just had the opportunity to the talk to. First of all, she's very highly decorated in her 30-plus career at the Central Intelligence Agency."