Jun 19 2018 10:11 AM
- The Senate will convene at 10:00 a.m.
- Following leader remarks, the Senate will resume consideration of H.R. 5895, the minibus appropriations bill.
- The Senate will recess from 12:30 p.m. until 2:15 p.m. to accommodate the weekly policy lunches.
- Note: the following amendment is pending to H.R. 5895, the minibus appropriations bill: Shelby Amendment #2910.
- Note: the following amendment is pending to Shelby Amendment #2910 to H.R. 5895, the minibus appropriations bill: Alexander Amendment #2911.
Senator McConnell: (10:03 a.m.)
- Spoke on the appropriations process.
- "One of our top goals for the senate this year was to recover a regular appropriations process. It's been a long time since the system worked as intended. The spending agreement we passed in March achieved several critical objectives. It broke the limits on funding our armed forces, delivered the largest year on year increases for our troops in more than a decade. It provided record levels of veterans funding with increased oversight and modernization. It secured major resources for infrastructure improvements, it took steps to prevent school violence, it scaled up research, treatment, and prevention funding to fight opioid addiction."
- Spoke on Republican economic policy.
- "In addition to immediate tax relief for middle-class families and small businesses, we sought to improve our long-term foundation by making America a more attractive place to start a business, expand a business, and invest for the future. That's why tax reform allowed full and immediate expense -- expensing of capital developments and made corporate rates more competitive. Businesses large and small are taking notice. A few weeks ago the "Wall Street Journal" said that U.S. companies are ramping up on their businesses at the fastest pace in year."