Oct 02 2018 10:18 AM
- The Senate will reconvene at 10:00 a.m.
- The Senate will recess from 12:30 p.m. to 2:15 p.m. to accommodate the weekly policy lunches.
- Note: all time during leader time and recess will count post-cloture on the House message accompanying H.R. 302, the vehicle for the FAA reauthorization.
Senator McConnell: (10:04 a.m.)
- Spoke on the nomination of Brett Kavanaugh to be an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court.
- "Remember, before Judge Kavanaugh was even named, several Democrats on the Judiciary Committee indicated they'd oppose whomever - whomever the nominee might turn out to be. The junior senator from California, for example, explained on television that whoever President Trump chose would bring about, quote, the destruction of the Constitution of the United States, as far as I can tell. That incredibly enough was a member of the Judiciary Committee. Of course, mere hours after Judge Kavanaugh was announced, my friend, the Democratic leader, made that announcement that has now become famous - I will oppose him with everything I've got, he said. And not long after that, another Democrat on the Judiciary Committee proclaimed that anyone supporting Judge Kavanaugh's confirmation was, quote, listen to this, complicit in the evil."
- Spoke on Republican economic policy.
- "More jobs for Kentuckians, more prosperity for local communities. I'd like to ask the men and women who will get one of these new jobs what they make of the fact that every single Democrat in Congress voted to block the tax reform that's helping this happen. Well, Republicans got it done anyway. We delivered sweeping tax cuts for workers and families, and now thanks in part to our policies, the economy is thriving. Just last month, consumer confidence reached its highest level in 18 years. In other words, American families are feeling better about spending and investing in their communities than they have since September of 2000."