Jun 08 2015 03:14 PM
- Following leader remarks, the Senate will be in morning business for one hour, with senators permitted to speak for up to ten minutes each.
- Following morning business, the Senate will resume consideration of H.R. 1735, the National Defense Authorization Act.
- Note: There will be no roll call votes on Monday, June 8. The next roll call vote will occur on Tuesday, June 9 at approximately 12:00 PM.
Senator Reid: (3:03 PM)
- Spoke on executive nominations.
- "The Republican leader is a student of the Senate. He says he is. I believe that. And I'm confident he understands the Senate cannot and should not neglect the constitutional obligations that we have. The Senate cannot simply ignore critical vacancies in their last two years of any president's term. What a bad standard to set, and especially, with the growth in certain communities, we have a number of judicial emergencies that have been determined. It's all the more troubling that the majority leader wants to pick an unnecessary fight over judges just as Republican senators are working with the president to fill vacancies in these states. The majority leader is essentially telling other senators that their judicial recommendations simply don't matter. Democrats, independents, Republicans; the majority leader is telling the chairman of the Judiciary Committee that regardless of the judicial nominations his committee continues to report out could be blocked by the Senate floor."