Jul 18 2018 06:24 PM
- The Senate will convene at 10:00 a.m.
- Following leader remarks, the Senate will proceed to Executive Session and resume consideration of Executive Calendar #903, Ryan Wesley Bounds, of Oregon, to be United States Circuit Judge for the Ninth Circuit.
- Note: all time during recess, adjournment, morning business, and leader remarks will count post-cloture on the Bounds nomination.
Senator Moran: (5:42 p.m.)
- Spoke on NATO.
- "I brought up Russia's destabilizing support for separatists in Ukraine and its illegal seizure of Crimea after Ukraine's democratically sought a president with closer ties with the west. Supporting and admitting they share intelligence with the tax bill undermines the democratic government in Afghanistan and undermines our nation's military as we continue to fight the tax bill alongside the Afghan national security forces. In each circumstance of those conversation, Russian officials, including the foreign minister, continue to outright deny any responsibility."
Senator Coons: (6:17 p.m.)
- Spoke in tribute to Nelson Mandela.
- "Political activism and resistance, he led a revolution by shepherding his people from racial division, hate, and subjugation to freedom, tolerance and democracy. One of the most striking aspects of his leadership as the first president as a truly free nonracial, nonsexist South Africa was his enormous capacity for forgiveness and his ability to open his heart to those who were once his brutal oppressors. 20 years after he was released from a lifetime in prison, Nelson Mandela invited to dinner at his own home one of his former jailers, a man with whom he'd become close friends."