Motion to Concur in the House Amendment to the Senate Amendment, with a further amendment, to the vehicle for the CR (H.R. 1892)
Feb 08 2018 05:19 PM
Senator Portman: (3:55 p.m)
- Spoke on tax reform.
- "This is in this tax legislation. More than three million people not having tax liability anymore. Part of it is because of the lower rates we talked about. Again, the proof is in the paycheck on that one. But part of it is also because in this legislation, we double the standard deduction but also double the child credit and make it more refund able than it already is. So that's happening. It's working. And that goal is already being achieved not by this congress but by the people we represent, the American people and families across this great country. So we're happy to see that. The second part of this is that a more competitive business code is benefiting workers very directly."
- Spoke on the opioid crisis.
- "It's considered to be 50 times more powerful than heroin. It's cheap. It's easily accessible, and it can be spread to other drugs which is increasingly happening. We're told by law enforcement it's being used now with cocaine, even some cases marijuana. Certainly it's being packaged into pills that makes it look like a prescription drug when it's really fentanyl laced. This stuff can be just deadly. This week I had some people come into the office talking to me about it, and I asked them whether they thought we were turning the tide and their answer was no because of the fentanyl, because of this new drug that is inexpensive, that's synthetic that's coming into our country, believe it or not, from overseas primarily and through the U.S mail system."
Senator Lee: (4:49 p.m)
- Spoke in tribute to Lucas Warren.
- "You see, Mr. President, yesterday the Gerber Baby Food Company selected little Lucas as its Gerber spokes-baby for the year of 2018. Lucas' winning photograph, sent in by his parents Jason and Courtney, was selected from more than 140,000 entries. Even at a glance, it's not at all hard to see why. But, Mr. President, this picture deserves much more than just a mere glance. I don't just mean because of the bow tie. You see, Lucas Warren was born with Downs Syndrome, which is to say Jason and Courtney Warren are among those Americans blessed to know, to love, and to be loved by someone with Downs Syndrome."
Senator Cassidy: (5:11 p.m)
- Spoke on disaster assistance loans.
- "You can imagine what their family home looked like. 56 of Louisiana, 64 parishes have federal disaster declarations. The August storm alone caused an estimated $10 billion in damage to private property which apart from hurricanes, made it the most expensive U.S disaster in the last 100 years. The most devastating thing was how little time people had to react. The storm was missing key cyclone characteristics so the national hurricane center had no expectation of how devastating the storm would be. And the first parishes hit by the flooding had no time to evacuate or prepare. Many families that were impacted by the great floods of 2016 in Louisiana lived outside of what are called special hazard zones and were not required and did not carry flood insurance."