May 10 2018 10:14 AM
- The Senate will convene at 10:00 a.m.
- Following leader remarks, the Senate will proceed to Executive Session and resume consideration of Executive Calendar #609, Michael B. Brennan, of Wisconsin, to be United States Circuit Judge for the Seventh Circuit.
- At 12:00 p.m., the Senate will VOTE on confirmation of Executive Calendar #609, Michael B. Brennan, of Wisconsin, to be United States Circuit Judge for the Seventh Circuit.
- Following disposition of the Brennan nomination, the Senate will VOTE on cloture on Executive Calendar #729, Joel M. Carson, of New Mexico, to be United States Circuit Judge for the Tenth Circuit.
- At 1:45 p.m., the Senate will VOTE on cloture on Executive Calendar #777, John B. Nalbandian, of Kentucky, to be United States Circuit Judge for the Sixth Circuit.
- If cloture is invoked on the Carson and Nalbandian nominations, the debate time will run concurrently.
- Note: on Thursday, April 26, cloture was filed on Executive Calendar #780, Michael Y. Scudder, of Illinois, to be United States Circuit Judge for the Seventh Circuit.
- Note: on Thursday, April 26, cloture was filed on Executive Calendar #781, Amy J. St. Eve, of Illinois, to be United States Circuit Judge for the Seventh Circuit.
Senator McConnell: (10:05 a.m.)
- Spoke on North Korea.
- "Madam President, let me begin this morning with gratitude to Secretary of State Mike Pompeo. Overnight he completed a sensitive diplomatic mission and returned home from North Korea with three freed American prisoners. The families of these three men and the entire country are so grateful. This episode offers just one more example of the complex, relentless foreign policy challenges that confront our country."
- Spoke on the nomination of Gina Haspel to be C.I.A. Director.
- "Yesterday our colleagues on the Intelligence Committee heard from Gina Haspel, President Trump's selection to head the Central Intelligence Agency. She showcased the poise and judgment of a 33-year career with the agency. Our testimony confirmed what her gold standard resume and her support from seasoned security leaders had already told us. Gina Haspel has the experience, talent and unique skill set to excel in this important job at this important moment. Since 1985 she served the nation in clandestine operations around the globe."
- Spoke on the pending judicial nominations.
- "On another matter, today the Senate continues our work to -- yesterday we confirmed Kurt Engelhardt to the fifth circuit by a significant margins. The nominee before us, Michael Brennan, is similarly qualified. His nomination carries bipartisan support from the people who know him best, including the endorsement of 30 peers in Wisconsin. In the words of one such colleague, Mr. Brennan possesses the mind, heart, and soul of a great jurist."
- Spoke on Republican economic policy.
- "After years of Democratic policies that made life harder for job creators, the United States of America is officially open for business once again. Surveys show that since President Trump and this Republican Congress were elected, the percentage of small and independent employers feeling confident about expanding their businesses has nearly tripled. The amount that employers spend on wages, salaries and benefits for American workers grew more in 2017 than in any calendar year of the Obama administration. And the number of Americans receiving unemployment benefits is the lowest since 1973."