May 14 2018 03:11 PM
- The Senate will convene at 3:00 p.m.
- Following leader remarks, the Senate will proceed to Executive Session and resume consideration of Executive Calendar #780, Michael Y. Scudder, of Illinois, to be United States Circuit Judge for the Seventh Circuit.
- At 5:30 p.m., the Senate will VOTE on confirmation of Executive Calendar #780, Michael Y. Scudder, of Illinois, to be United States Circuit Judge for the Seventh Circuit and then Executive Calendar #781, Amy J. St. Eve, of Illinois, to be United States Circuit Judge for the Seventh Circuit in the order listed.
- Following disposition of the St. Eve nomination, the Senate will resume consideration of Executive Calendar #729, Joel M. Carson, of New Mexico, to be United States Circuit Judge for the Tenth Circuit.
Senator Hatch: (3:02 p.m.)
- Spoke on the establishment of Israel.
- "It reminds me of the affinity I have as a member of the Mormon faith hold for the Jewish people in their history. Both Israel and Utah were settled by religious minorities seeking refuge from persecution. A shared history that deepens our devotion to democracy and our love of freedom. Although my schedule does not allow me to be in Israel today, perhaps it is even more appropriate that I make these remarks here rather than in Jerusalem for I would - where I would like to be. After all, today should be seen as an American holiday, just as it is an Israeli one. America's interest, prosperity, and security have benefited immeasurably from our deep friendship with the state of Israel. Indeed, the world is a much better place because of Israel."