Feb 13 2018 10:11 AM
- The Senate will convene at 10:00 a.m.
- Following leader remarks, the Senate will resume consideration of the motion to proceed to H.R. 2579, the vehicle for the immigration bill.
- The Senate will recess from 12:30 p.m to 2:15 p.m to accommodate the weekly policy lunches.
- Note: all time during recess, adjournment, morning business, and leader remarks count post-cloture on the motion to proceed to H.R. 2579, the vehicle for the immigration bill.
Senator McConnell: (10:03 a.m)
- Spoke on recent flooding in Kentucky.
- "My staff in Eastern Kentucky is working closely with local officials, monitoring the situation and receiving updates. As always we're deeply grateful to the emergency responders who rescued a number of people from their homes or their cars, helping their fellow Kentuckians through this hardship, they've again earned our thanks."
- Spoke on DACA.
- "The solution provides funding to secure the border, reforms extended family chain migration and recalibrates the Visa Lottery Program. This proposal has my support, and during this week of fair debate, I believe it deserves support of every senator who's ready to move beyond making points and actually making a law. But if other proposals are to be considered, our colleagues will have to actually introduce their own amendments rather than just talk about them. I made a commitment to hold this debate and to hold it this week. I've lived up to my commitment. I hope everyone will cooperate so this opportunity does not go to waste."
- Spoke on tax reform.
- "Week after week the headlines are full of more bonuses, more pay raises, and more new benefits for hardworking Americans as a direct result, a direct result of tax reform. With all this good news pouring in, it's easy to forget how hotly the debate over tax reform was contested. Republicans argued that letting middle-class families keep more of their own money and giving American job creators a 21st Century tax code would unleash more prosperity and directly help American workers."