Nov 02 2012
- President Obama’s policies have led to higher unemployment and fewer job opportunities for women.
- Record numbers of women are now living in poverty.
- As women face lower wages and fewer jobs, gas prices, health insurance premiums, and food costs continue to rise.
Fewer job opportunities for women in the Obama economy:
- Since the president took office, the number of unemployed women has increased by over 580,000 to 5.6 million.
- Younger women are having a particularly difficult time in the Obama economy. Since President Obama took office, the unemployment rate for 20- to 24-year-old women has increased from 10.3 percent to 12.3 percent.
Record number of women living in poverty in the Obama economy:
- The number of women living in poverty is at an all-time high (25.7 million), up nearly 4 million since President Obama took office.
- The poverty rate for women has increased to 16.3 percent, which is an 18-year high.
Middle-class families struggling in the Obama economy:
- Gas prices have nearly doubled, and family insurance premiums have increased by $3,065 since President Obama took office.
- Middle-class family incomes have dropped by almost $4,000, and home values have sunk by 9 percent on the president’s watch.